Gamification Tips: Instructional design with a large teaspoon of fun
Gamification is a buzzword going around the e-Learning industry at the moment. To us, the definition of gamification is the addition of game-like mechanics into an e-Learning module.
When you are creating a gamification offering, we recommend the following tips:
- Identify the purpose and learning objectives
- Build the game parameters first – What is the theme? How do you win? What are the rules? What are the rewards?
- Do other modules contribute to the game, or does it only apply to the one module?
- Can your Learning Management System record the scoring / progress results?
- Avoid making the game too complicated. It is the content that you want learners to think about
- Consider whether the game is iPad / Tablet compatible and adjust your design and instructions accordingly
- Instructional design still matters! Does the theme of the game match the content design? Or vice versa, does the content design match the theme?
- “Build it and they will come” is a myth! Why should they care? The “what’s in it for me” (WIIFM) should be clearly identified
To demonstrate a snippet of what a game may look like in a learning context, click here to view one of our projects.